Ads Top

* Shh ... *

topic of the day 055
a Quiet Place Retrospective

What, who, when, how, why? Then, so?

I've been thinking of how much sound plays a part in our everyday life after seeing A Quiet Place, seeing them having to suppress themselves from creating any type of sound whatsoever whether by themselves or the surroundings since their survival depend on it in this world now full of silence.

Even though I am a quiet person myself, I know I made a lot of noise myself with my actions even when I don't mean to so I want list down what sound I make everyday and whether I could suppress to save my life. Join me in reflecting on your own life and see if you can be better than me which in turns would translate into longer life span in the world of A Quiet Place.

I - laptop, smartphone & television
The speakers of course would be the most loud ones, with the former could be substituted with an earphone while the latter do not have the same option. I could watch shows with the mute function and subtitles on. My constant typing would produce noticeable sound as well so I need to have white noise just like the banging of a door or that waterfall to cover it if I'm even thinking of using it. Even the fan inside of it is loud enough to be noticeable when there is no any other sound around. Regarding the smartphone, I think it is silent enough since I always plug in my earphone while the touchscreen replaces the sound that any keypad would make.

II - my own physical body
I inherit such a life threatening issue in this particular situation whereby my joints would pop every time I stretch or move after being immobile for awhile. It's nothing bad for my health really, just very noticeable. It's great that I will always know when my body would make the sounds so I can time it to coincide with other surrounding noises. The thing is I have been habitually popping them myself every now and then so I need to be alarmed of it and not make any sound in the silence.

III - miscellanous
Other essentials such as light and electricity would not make any sound while the fans and the refrigerator would have constant quiet noises that would be perfect for white noise that could mask the minute sound we make around the house. The plumbing do make sound at times with the machine that pumps the water up and the steel plumbing themselves in certain parts. Speaking of which, we have to take a bath quietly, right? Can't take it stand up anymore, have to sit down and applying the water slowly and gently ...

IV - mobilisation
The marble flooring have kept the footstep sounds in minimum for years here, now just have to take the step slowly and not stomping the feet and make unnecessary shockwave. The car and motorcycle would make the most sound if used so there are definitely out of the question until I find a working bicycle myself. I could jog without making as much sound as others but it is still there ... 

V - comfort
Plastic chairs in the kitchen should not be moved unless it is absolute necessary, lifting them up instead of dragging them around. Since my wooden bed would creak every time I get on it, it would have to go, just putting the mattress on the floor for absolute safety. Speaking of which, I would snore uncontrollably in a certain sleeping position ... so good bye then!

VI - security
The gates at the front and at the back need to be padlocked but as every thing made with steel, they would make that clinking sound when they touch each other so the keys probably need to be duck-taped to muffle the possible sound made. The gates need to be close as long as possible since they will always creaking or making other sounds when moved and the same goes for the door as well especially when the lock needs to bounce into position and make that springy sound.

VII - spare time
Podcast and music would keep me company as long as the earphone still works while I draw anything that I want in complete silence ...

VIII - religion
The same goes for during wudhuk, using a container (or cebok) to dip my hands in and apply them while my prayers have always been quiet. I'm not sure about the Al-Quran recital though ...

Hm ... that's about it I think. I could survive for a few days if I am being extra careful each moment. How about you?

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.