Ads Top

survive the manic nunnery

Dead in Vinland Maniac the Nun
pop culture dailies weekly monthly ...? 025
Writing them up sometimes go smoothly or in this case took longer than before ... :

Dead in Vinland
[CCCP]
I am just a glutton for punishment regarding the games that I choose to retry dozens of times to have that perfect start, first with into the Breach and then Dead in Vinland. Truth be told, the latter is the earlier game that I played first but since the former have a much shorter time to see what direction the playthrough would go, I can restart right away while I can't for the longer RPG. I wanted to play this game after seeing the screenshot of the turn-based combat but I did not know I am in for a such a detailed and punishing survival management RPG. That early twist in the storyline let me know what kind of adversities this Nordic family is up against in this new unfamiliar island that fate stranded them in. The daily grind to meet their requirements have to be balanced with the effort to explore the new land and built up a home, with a number of stats of the characters that you have to pay close attention to. When one of the main cast dies, the game is over for you and it happened a number of times for me that even when one of the sides suffer the same fate, I don't feel great to keep playing when I know there is blood in my hands. This game is really stressful but the satisfaction of seeing them thriving under my care despite the odds has been phenomenal though I have to work for it. Not an experience I can recommend to everyone ...
Maniac
[Netflix]
Cary Joji Fukunaga is such a visionary with the first season of True Detective being his mark of excellence that both fans and critics are holding in high regards. With his sights now set on the upcoming Bond 25 project (that I am highly excited for if you've listened to my most recent podcast), he leaves the small screen format behind but not before releasing another series of his own making, now with a journey through the psyche of the mind with now a science fiction twist. Scoring (another) high profile talents that re making a name of their own in Emma Stone and Jonah Hill, I was actually surprised to see the focus of the first episode in on the latter's character but knowing that this is all about the condition of mind and how medicines would help you to deal with it (or make it worse), I cannot wait to see where this series will go as the table is set for the main course to be served. I am intrigue to see the world through the eyes of Jonah Hill's character and looking forward to see how it will change after the clinical trial with Emma Stone's character appears to being roped in along for the journey. This is going to be a fun rollercoaster of a ride ...
the Nun
[New Line Cinema]
After the first two James Wan films, the studio started to create spinoffs off of the 'monsters' being featured in that film by giving a solo origin film to each of them, but the Conjuring shared universe has been a bit of a mixed bag since we have the same materials that are being played with by different directors with different capabilities to pull them off. With Annabelle, it wasn't the start of the extension that they were looking for but Annabelle: Creation makes up for it and now the Nun couldn't actually build upon the momentum but it is a solid outing nonetheless! There is nothing to write home about since it is quite by-the-number affair with conventional jump scares and other horror tropes being applied rather expectedly. The genre is getting its own resurgence since last with more and more inventive and excellent entries and this just appear to be a step backward in comparison. 
-
Well, that's all folks! Thank you for your time and please do come back for my future posts! :-)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.