Ads Top

It's not a democracy if you don't use your voice.

obligatory journal 028
General Election 14
That was the first time I went to vote for a local election yesterday, with all of my siblings came home to Sungai Besar to vote and went back to where they came from right away. It is quite beautiful and symbolic since we all representing my mother who had to miss the election because she had to finish that antibodies in the hospital. It was quite a simple process really, went to the designated voting place, checked which station you're under and waited in line in said station until it was your turn. When you entered the room, your name was checked from the list, your hands were checked as well (you'll know why after this) and dipped my left index finger into the (much debated) special ink to have that visual confirmation that you had voted and wouldn't be eligible to go back in line to vote again. Regarding the voting itself, I was given two pieces of papers with the three candidates from the different parties on them (different places had different amount of candidates), one for the cabinet and one for the parliament (that's right, right? I'm not sure ...) and I just went in the booth and pick the ones I wanted to represent me and put the votes in the two separate boxes. That's it! I went as early as 9.30 but had to wait over half an hour, just imagine if you went during prime time! I believe government made the day a holiday which helped in motivating the Malaysian citizens to go back to their hometown and vote. Another thing I appreciate was how the people (at least here) didn't show their political leaning at all when they're waiting or walking around, whether from the clothes or their behaviours. I even came across an old classmate of mine (v the bespectacled guy! v)! I wasn't as invested to watch the television coverage to find out the final results but I'm sure I would know by this morning! They worked fast, right? I was never in this situation before, I never did pay any attention ... 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.