Ads Top

twenty six days left ... but who's counting?

obligatory journal 034
Ramadhan
a month of fasting
I have been experiencing it year after year before but I might want to shed some light on it for the visitors of my blog from the point of view of the Muslim in general and my own personal viewpoint. If you are unfamiliar with the concept, it is a month (between thirty to thirty one days) of daily fasting for those who are practicing the religion of Islam, before the local time of Subuh prayer until after the time of Maghrib prayer. If you can use the visual aid above as guidance, this is my time as an example, between 5.45 in the morning until 7.25 in the evening, with thirteen hours and forty minutes to fast during the day. The Muslim have to not consume any food or liquid during the time while avoiding any sinful activities, whether fornicating or just plain old talking bad of others and hurting someone else for example. It is our belief that in this duration all the devils are tied down and humans are left to their own desires, providing a test to see whether they would fall prey to their own basic instincts without even the inviting whispers of the fallen jinns. Aside from the refraining test, we are obligated to fast to be thankful of what riches we have and be emphatic and sympathetic of others who are less fortunate. I can't remember succinctly but this annual test of faith dated back for centuries and even millennium with the Muslims who were at war with the Musyrikins were still fasting despite the constant to their lives and this was said to be a confidence dampener to the opponents, especially when we pray tarawih together. The act of fasting itself have been numerously stated to be beneficial to the health, that is if you do the deed properly, without eating way too much, more than necessary to make up for the hours of grumbling stomach which in turns negate the benefits altogether. I can safely say that our family fast in moderation and only eat what are cooked at home instead of going to bazaar and give in to hunger by buying everything that they want to instead of what they need. The fourth day has come and gone for me and despite the title, I do not really count down as vigorously as I did before in my youth, wanting to just experience it day by day and trying to do my best. Are any of you here a fellow Muslim? How is your fasting going? If you are not one, I want you to give it a go even for half a day at first, see how long you can last without food and anything sinful. Please try and let me know how it went please!
-
I hope with my attempt to keep myself accountable, this would motivate you to do same!
-
Well, that's all folks! Thank you for your time and please do come back for my future posts! :-)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.