Ads Top

a Malay x McD fusion delicacy

Foodie Friday 009
Nasi Lemak Burger
[ McDonald's ]
Availability: local region-wide
Fast food is such an enigma for me, its fastest preparation time and admittedly delicious offerings are being countered by the honestly pricey price tags that are attached to them and the low healthy benefits by adding them to the diet. I would always enjoy eating them at the moment no matter what variety the set was but I would be feeling a bit regretful without fail for my choice of dinner (mostly so, rarely do eat them in other times) at the end of it.
With that being said (I do use this phrase a lot, right?), I enjoy the food as it is and would appreciate them when being brought in front of me for me to eat, but I would not go out of my way to eat them as much as I could unlike my younger brother (he's not that excessive, but he would at least eat McD once a week). I would always take time to measure the positives and negatives before resorting to fast food when I can't decide what to eat, which is why the duration between I consume them sometimes going for months and even a year! Truth be told, it has lessened over these past few months but I try to eat them for a special occasion or just reserve this decision for a rainy day, so to speak. Which led us to this moment whereby I saw McDonald's is releasing a new product, Nasi Lemak Burger, and I couldn't help myself for being curious and see how they would adapt this national breakfast dish into a burger.
When I think of nasi lemak, I would always think of the rice first (and it would be weird to see it paired with the burger although KFC have a decent rice alternative ... or had? I haven't been there in awhile) but the next best thing is the signature sambal sauce and I can't believe it is exactly as the real one, the same consistency, taste and smell and all. I never go double patty at all before so when I saw the patty+egg combo, I thought it was a bit too much for me but it turned out to be just right in the end, the fleshy former compliments by the softer latter! The onions cooked to brown was a curious addition but they do add to the flavour characters in the end. I am never a fan of cucumber but it's getting easier to eat it, especially after learning it would go down easier if eaten with another part of the dish to accompany it down, so it's an appreciated touch of greenery in the diet. I didn't notice the infused coconut flavour but I certainly noticed the crispy batter around the thigh though. That crispy flakes on top of the buns were not noticeable as well as the sambal enveloped everything in its path. All in all, it is a decent reinterpretation by moving it from a rice medium into burger, but there are some aspects of the original that I wish they could adapt, such as the cooked nuts and ikan bilis and the pandan leaves. I appreciate the attempt and I enjoyed the burger thoroughly. 


Oh, just like how I love the KFC's fried chickens, I love the McD's French fries hence why I bought the whole set but since I am not that fond of carbonated drinks, I had to change the Pepsi with an iced lemon tea (I still can't remember what brand that was ...).
-
a case for the decent adaptation:
+ Positives +
That sambal with the patty+egg combo is one-of-a-kind! ... it is definitely filling!
? Main contention ?
I wish there would more aspects of nasi lemak that would be properly adapted!
- Negatives -
It might be viewed as just a hacky pandering gimmick ... that's one way to see it.
! Warning !
Eat it when your stomach is empty. It is enough to keep me full for the whole night, for me at least!
j preferred way of eating f
At home, eating at night while watching some TV.
* sense of touch & taste *
The crunchy batter, the fleshy thigh, the soft egg, the spongy buns, the wet cucumbers and the slimy onions (in a good way). The flavour profile of the sambal is the highlight here, as the double dose of chicken are also complimented by the other supporting ingredients of the burger!
 <+> 
Since it is cooked with oil, please be mindful when consuming it, eat in moderation. 
RM
Isn't it almost RM 20 though? That beverage change adds to the total price as well ... don't forget the GST! This is why I'm not keen to eat fast food as much as I want to.
? Value ?
+ durability + quick + tasty - unhealthy + familiarity + inventiveness - lack of creativity = 65%
--

- x -

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.