Ads Top

"Cookies?"

Wardrobe Wednesday 025
Cookie Monster shirts
< the Sesame Street & threadless >
Now that I covered quite a number of the more interesting pieces in my collection, it is hard (and still) to find one that I could at least expand upon. Now since I have the same character is two separate piece of clothes, why should I keep them apart and not cover them together, right?


Even though I may not be as familiar of the Sesame Street as I was then during my childhood, I know how vast their influence are even today and I know people can still recognize their characters since they have such simple yet iconic appearances. One of them is of course the Cookie Monster! Such a simple concept yet really memorable execution, and how the show and the public interpret the monster in blue can be seen between these two designs. 


Looking first at the official design by the Sesame Street Company itself, we can see they are focusing on his cuddliness and naive personality by implying that he is just happy-go-lucky that he even paints a sign himself to offer free hugs to those that want to. Considering it is officially straight from them, they are catering to their target demography which is children and this image is quite appropriate for them. Straight and simple, nothing wrong with that at all. Now looking at the custom design by fellow fans of the series, Efrem Palacios, he or she view him as a monster in and of itself, a literal monster in the closet that would eat the inhabitant of bedroom whole, none other than a cookie, of course! A really smart design in concept and really effective in execution, you can barely see him from the other side of the door but how the whole situation is framed from his hand reaching for the frightened cookie in the bed let you know who exactly the monster is. A little bit high concept and not as straight forward, but if you already familiar with Cookie Monster in the first place, you can get it almost right away.

I love seeing the juxtaposition between two different approaches toward one character and I would wear them proudly despite being a fully grown man now since it helped me to grow when I was the easiest to be influenced. There are always cons of buying from bundles with the streaks on the shoulders from overexposure to the sun for the custom and slight wear of the thicker print for the official but they won't ever detract from how these shirts represent such an influential show not only to me but to the whole developing society.

Do you have a Sesame Street shirt or merchandise yourself? Let me know what exactly in your email.
-
a case for the brave lone knight:
+ Positives +
different unique approaches to one choiced character from a popular kid series.
? Main contention ?
now I want to know what other designs that people could make from this one specific character!
- Negatives -
the inescapable wear and tear, and not a perfect fit for each of them! you can never try them on before buying ...
RM
RM 15 a piece if I'm not mistaken ... again, worth every penny!
? Value ?
+ great smart designs for each one + quality products whether officially or custom - the wear and tear - too snug on the body = 75%.
--
- x -

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.