Ads Top

Bila-bila masa, masa ...

Foodie Friday 018
Twiggies
[ gardenia ]
Availability: local and beyond (?) ...
Skipping last week just happened without any prior plan since I was really caught up with my emotions regarding my return to the podcast scene. Oh, please do have a listen if you haven't already. Now it's past the day already but better late than never!
I want to cover as much as I could but sometimes life just gets in the way. Anyway, here is my breakdown of the local version of Twinkies! I've learned that Twinkies is the original version of this cylindrical soft creamy sponge cake, being brought to my attention at first by the film Zombieland (yup!). Full disclosure, I have been enjoying Twiggies (yeah, now that I think about it, they aren't doing much to differentiate from the predecessor ...) for years before I even learn where they get their 'inspiration' from. I haven't actually gotten the opportunity to taste the American snack myself but I'm doing my best to cover the current offering of the local counterpart by Gardenia.
Choc-a-Lot Chocolate was the only version of Twiggies for so long since its debut until just a few years ago when Cream Dream Vanilla was introduced and then even Tiramisu join the fray to complete the trio of delicacies!  Since they are all the same aside from the colouring and the filling, I will touch on the structure of the sponge cake itself first. They are always springy and fluffy, always being a solid foundation for the product. I'm not sure whether or not the colour of the sponge cake brings with it its own taste or just purely cosmetic or optic, but they are always appropriate to the flavour theme, with dark black for Tiramisu and light brown for Chocolate. Speaking of which, I can't say much about the flavour themselves either since they are all quite effectively represent each of them, with Choc-a-Lot being my favourite. Since I don't have a sweet tooth, I find the fillings quite strong on their own, which is why I recommend to bite off adequate amount of the cake to balance it out. The creamy fillings would be the one thing that make or break this kind of snacks for you. If I can cover the whole three versions in one sentence, the chocolate is the more balanced out of the three while the tiramisu is of course the more bitter and strong alternative, as vanilla rounding it up being the sweetest of them all.
All in all, it's a more 'healthier' snack that I can choose if I want a quick bite that could be filling in small portions.

Do you have one at your own place of living? 

-
a case for the local reimagining of an American 'staple':
+ Positives +
filling mini-sponge cakes with great alternatives.
? Main contention ?
I wonder how the original would compare to these spiritual successors.
- Negatives -
there are only two per package ... but I think it is worthy of the price!
! Warning !
they always have expiration date so be careful ... but do know that this expiration date is just what they estimate the best time to eat their product. they won't turn bad right away when you past the printed date, it's there just to warn you. 
j preferred way of eating f
eat one when I am hungry and keep the remaining one until I feel the need or a quick snack again.
* sense of touch & taste *
the softness and springiness of the sponge cakes being contrasted well with the creamy fillings.
 <+> 
...
RM
the price actually doesn't increase as much as other products over the years with RM 1.70 per package being a really reasonable price for the Twiggies.
? Value ?
+ rich taste with interesting choices + a handy packaging especially an individual packaging for a single Twiggie  - the strong taste (too much for me at times) = 90%
--
- x -

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.