Ads Top

Let them fight.

Foodie Friday 003
chicken chop
Availability: local, Din's Cafe vs Mamawe Cafe!
I apologize again for another later entry into my weekly segment, I had to attend a neighbourhood gathering for the recent Chinese New Year. I actually could've released this entry a day before but because I a came across something new, I am doing something new for this particular entry (although it is just the third, might be too early ... although that Wednesday segment could use a much needed variety) since the opportunity presented itself to me last Friday. If you couldn't already decipher from the image on the headline, I went to two different eateries here in Sungai Besar and chose to eat the same dish just for the sake of trying something new and the opportunity to compare how both places approach the same dish. Chicken chop is quite a protein and carbohydrates heavy with only a side of fiber, as that big piece of chicken meat (not sure which part they always use ... the breast?) is the center point of the dish, being prepared (on the pan probably) to have a crispy outer layer (that burned bit is just an added bonus to me!) and a cooked tender texture inside as the black pepper sauce serves as the perfect companion to play against the taste of the chicken. Asides from the perfectly adequate coleslaw, the accompanying carbohydrate is where the two dishes diverges from each other.
If you look at the amateur pictures I took of both of them, you can see how much the serving and variety of the potatoes use differ as the wedges from Din's pale in comparison with the French Fries from Mamawe's which is unfortunate really since KFC's cheesy wedges is one of my favourites but that shortcoming certainly made up with that slice of tomato and spinach and of course that piece of cheese on top of the chop. Going back to it, the visual is telling as far as the chickens are to be considered and even if I couldn't quite over one over another on the texture itself, having the meat appear wet already with the sauce all over it (don't overlook that melting cheese!) certainly makes it more appealing compared to them being separated. Suffice to say that each dish have their own pros and cons: go to Mamawe's for a carbohydrate-heavy version (that extra bun adds to the equation!) or go to Din's for a 'wetter' and 'healthier' alternative. So, there you go!

-
a case for a different iterations of the same dish:
+ Positives +
Perfect post-workout meal with that rich and succulent meat and accompanying carbs!
? Main contention ?
This two is a viable alternative from one another although if I do found another strong contesting candidate, I will highlight it here ...
- Negatives -
It is such a delicious dish that I could only once in a while because of its price.
! Warning !
Hm ... you might be too full after finishing it? Not to the level of kue tiaw kung fu though!
j preferred way of eating f
Just as is I think, it's enough to satiate my hunger as just a sole meal ... if you look closer on the pictures, I chose an iced apple drinks for Mamawe and a hot lemon tea for Din. Both works well ... I ate the former outside in the open while the latter inside in the air-conditioned room.
* the sense of touch & taste *
The softness and a bit of crunchiness of the meat balances with the cold crunchiness of the coleslaw ... the crunchy potato wedges or the French Fries should be a filling companion.
 <+> 
High on proteins and carbs ... as I mentioned, perfect to replenish your energy, not for everyday diet. 
RM
This is where you will make up your mind: Din's is RM 8 and Mamawe's is RM 11!
Make of that what you will.
--
P.S. Here is the address of both places!

Mamawe Cafe:
45300, 1-13, Jalan Sbbc 9, Sungai Besar, 45300 Sungai Besar, Selangor [Google Map]
&
Mamawe Cafe:
33, Jalan Sungai Limau Dua, Sungai Besar, 45400 Sungai Besar, Selangor [Google Map]
- x -

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.