Ads Top

... waka ... waka ... waka ... waka ...

Wardrobe Wednesday 001
 PAC-MAN  30th Anniversary
~ DZINE (aka Carlos Rolon) – Chicago, USA ~
< uniqlo >
Here's a segment that I've been meaning to get to but never got the chance before and always missed the window when it came across my mind. Calling it "Wardrobe Wednesday" is just an easy rhyming exercise but also my first attempt to make a post with pre-scheduled weekly deadline for me to meet. Truth be told, I'm not sure what I can write upon the clothes that I chose to highlight (just like that one post on food ... if I'm following the trend, maybe Foodie Friday, huh?) but I'll try my best.
Here's a little backstory: I never got the allure of branded clothes or clothes from major international outlet before (although my strong affinity of Nike suggests that I was already heading into that direction), but when my younger brother brought home a simple collared blue shirt, I was taken aback by how well-made it was despite its simplicity. Just like how I always gravitated to Nike as my number one choice for sport-associated getup because of its guaranteed quality, durability and prolonged shelf life (or how long it would last comparatively), I finally understand it, but the reality is that I know I have to pay for the assurance of quality. The first time I went into a uniqlo store in Setia City Mall, I was amazed by the abundance of choice and at the same time horrified by the price they are fetching for. I've never been into a brand outlet like this before (and now I know it's in the more affordable range in the list of brands) so it came to me as a surprise although I know now not to look for the brand new offerings but rather the ones being discounted weeks or months after initial releases. That has been my modus operandi ever and this approach allow me to get the wardrobe of the day (and judging by my wardrobe, I can safely bet that it might be the same for over half of them).
The wardrobe of the day is a Pac-Man T-shirt that I found in a non-conventional method, or for me at least. Bundle shop here in Malaysia is the same equivalent of thrift store in USA with the focus mainly on clothes and shoes, and it's my local bundle shop that have this in store. The items in the bundle shops that I've visited across my district have never been washed or cleaned properly, straight away being taken out of the bundle of clothes and being hanged up straight away with all the creases and of course that signature distinct smell, but I'm fortunate that this shop is the most presentable and clean, but that's not saying much. Nevertheless, I know it came with the territory and I found this particular gem in one of the stacks, looking worse for wear but since it's uniqlo, I know I'm getting a bargain for a fraction of the original price. I am a pop culture enthusiast and even if I seldom play it myself, I know it's an iconic symbol of the gaming culture and the tie-in with its 30th Anniversary resulted in this vibrant design of a shirt, with the signature yellow fittingly as the primary colour. Effective contrasting design choice by simply using the logo in the front while showcasing his/her artistic flair at the back, punctuated by reflective material used for Pac-Man himself while the Ghost is flocked (I learned this term from Funko POP!) alongside the lettering of the logo. The custom collar tag is another bonus notch in the positives!

The material in use is most probably cotton (I tried to read the tag inside the shirt but it's in Japanese) and it's on the thicker side, making it much more suitable for a colder climate (mind you, it's always either sunny or rain throughout the year, so if it's the latter) and a 'sturdier' wear, its 'boxy' outline helps in me in maintaining my posture. It's an odd thing to mention, but that's what I felt when I wore it. I'm looking forward to know how you feel when you wear your favourite outfit. Oh, it just so happened that this one is a perfect fit! It's a miracle to find something that you like in the bundle shop and it's just in your size ... if not, you can't just ask for another one that's smaller/bigger just like in the department store. !
-

a case for the fitting commemoration of a gaming icon:
+ Positives +
I Googled it, it's over seven years old! Wow! Thank goodness I bought it first before others do ...
~
Simple minimalistic design (at least at the front), with correct use of the signature colour with prominent place of the logo, a number of smart design choices i.e. flocked and shiny surfaces
? Main contention ?
uniqlo's track record isn't exactly that impressive if you've look through all the collaboration with artists they had, moreso than most that the designs do not look particularly appealing as a shirt design and do not paint the original material they're inspired from in a pleasing manner ... there is always a chance for a once in a blue moon design such as this, which is why I would keep looking for them.
They have better luck in finding better designs by doing a contests that fans would enter with their own.
- Negatives -
Hm ... if I have to say anything, I think that design at the back is leaning towards being too artsy without representing the game itself well enough aside from the Pac-Man and Ghost. With that being said, I appreciate the artistic flourish that I would wear with proud, as a fellow amateur myself.
RM
Definitely get my money worth paying RM15.00 for a RM60(+/-) retail shirt!
? Value ?
Design + Nostalgia + Tribute + Quality = 80%
--
P.S. There is a lot of background information for this first post. I'm not what to write for the next one so I better pick one that worth the wait!
- x -

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.