Ads Top

♪ ... just a little nervous in front of you ... ♫♬

Song of the Day 005
an Awkward Duet
Dodie & Joe Cozart {vocal & ukulele} & {vocal}
[Youtube Collaboration]

Artist Attractive Traits =
Smooth vocal with attractive tone and specific ranges that are always pleasing to the ears.

The Youtube recommendation algorithm work in mysterious ways but I am glad that they introduced me to the ever delightful Dodie, complete with her quirkiness and most importantly her equally delightful voice and upbeat songs. Another accidental recommendation I came across is when I watched one of Fine Bros. videos (that trademark controversy sure did its toll but they bounced back as gracefully as they could) that highlighted Paint's most popular video whereby Joe Cozart sang of what happened 'realistically' when the Disney movies ended for all those princesses (watch the video yourself, it's better than I could explained). I am most impressed with his wide vocal range and his obvious talent in composing the song that he keeps showing in his channel although the same can be said for Dodie as well with her specific brand of music of course. Imagine my surprise when she released this collaboration between her and him! The end result certainly didn't disappoint as they did a meta commentary on the trend of duet itself while showcasing their talents in every part of the piece. It made me laughed and made me in awe of their voice chemistry and most importantly it made my day every time I heard of the song! Do you feel the same?

Chance of Mainstream Success =
Her works online let her find her own niche and dedicated groups of fans (myself included) scattered all around the world.

"an Awkward Duet"

Do you want to go first?
Cause I’m happy to wait, I
practiced really hard
but I’m finding it strange to start
with you.

So how does it go?
I’ve forgotten the tune, I 
haven’t warmed up today
so I might sound a bit strange
yes I do

and I
(can)
sing(I)
swear it’s true
I’m just a little nervous in front of you

so who’s on the 3rd?
i think I’m better at mel-o-dy
oh i’m going to get it wrong
shall we try another song?
no?… okay.

let’s just go for a take
and see how we sound, my
heart is beating fast
oh vocal chords please last
here we go

cause I
(can)
sing(I)swear it’s true
I’m just a little nervous in front of you

(chord to maj7 to maj6 to maj6, then Gm with same descending sequence)
oooooh
oooooh
hey we sound good
(both try to do a stupid amount of riffs and then try to outriff eachother)

I think I messed up
I just wanted to improvise
shall we do this another day?
(well I sounded great)

and I
(can)
sing(I)
swear it’s true
I’m just a little nervous in front of you?

Songwriter: Dodie and Joe Cozart? (unclear).

-

a case for the wonderfully awkward collaboration:
+ Highlights +
Perfectly implemented and executed concept of perfect awkwardness and musical symmetry as all the lyrics commentating on the situation of the recording of the song itself while trying to one up each other.
? Main contention ?
I didn't know at the moment that they went with this awkward concept not just out of nowhere but actually because they both are actually gay/lesbian, facts I learned months later but it doesn't actually matter to me at all since I appreciate the music and accept them as they are no matter the preferences.
- Lowlights -
That accent though. I know it's not part of the song itself but I'm not sure those across the pond would appreciate that. I kid of course!
{ On the surface and/or underlying themes }
It is always wonderful to hear about talented artists that could only know of each other through the internet, found each other who have the same or close musical inclination to have wonderful musical collaboration in the result of it. This is just one fine example of that.
--
P.S. I hope they would do another collaboration in the future, just to celebrate the medium of music together!

- - -

- x -

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.