Ads Top

~ I'm Phoebe Judge, and this is Criminal. ~

Podcast of the Day 006
CRIMINAL

Stories of people who’ve done wrong, been wronged, or gotten caught
somewhere in the middle.

[May 28th, 2008-]

My morbid curiosity was triggered by the podcast sensation that is Serial as I started to being led into more crime related outlets and 'entertainment' properties, Criminal is one of the first I came across which I am really grateful for. The first impression is always important especially in the ever expanding podcast platform and this one in particular is enchanting with the narrator's voice Phoebe Judge inviting you into the podcast with her soft spoken voice and almost whispering intonations. I know it might be not to everyone's liking (as every person have their own voices and we accept how different and unique they are to each of them. to her defense, it wasn't a put upon voice though as I heard her talking normally in that way when she went out for on-location recording) but it is her soothing tone that allow me to approach the sensitive nature of these often macabre subjects, as the team behind the production approach them with utmost respect and care that shows in the finished products themselves. The unique throughline of Criminal is what it is about: it is about crimes in general as they cover the genre that have limitless materials ranging from all walks of life and varieties of crimes with equal amount of victims. The (almost) biweekly schedule is a small negative  trait that I am willing to overlook (it's not that big of a detriment really) if my wait is being rewarded with concise, short doses of informative insight into these real life incidents that some times too outlandish to be true!

Podcast Dominant Traits =
Soothing narrator's tone with short burst of intriguing real life stories perfect for quick listen.
Chance of Mainstream Success =
Over 85% with the ever expanding popularity of real life crimes-based platforms.

a case for the brisk journey into the criminal dark universe:

+ Highlights +
Concise and short episode of interesting diverse topics under the umbrella of crime with straight to the point approach with a consistent and relaxing voiceover guiding us through these often upsetting stories.
? Main contention ?
With LORE being the first podcast to turned into a television show (that I am aware of ... I know Marc Maron has his own meta show), it is an anthology series of horror and as another podcast with the same concept albeit with a similarly popular genre, I wonder how long it would take for the more experimental platforms out there willing to take the risk to adapt Crinimal ...
- Lowlights -
Too short and too far between being punctuated with how high the quality of each episode is.
{ Underlying themes and/or on the surface }
All these attention towards crime and the macabre subjects it is dealing with, it should not only be to satiate the morbid curiosity in your head but rather we should learn from these incidents and be ever more appreciative of our own lives in retrospect.
 listening style ♪♬
It is such a brisk listen that I will use it to fill a moment when I was doing something that's not too occupying myself that I can let the podcast's glory bask over me even if just for a moment.
--
[Release Schedule - biweekly, Genre - commentary, crime, death, mankind]

- x -

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.