Ads Top

"This is not a game."

Game Night
Mini Non-Spoiler Review
[February 22nd, 2018]
[R, 1hr 40min, Action, Comedy, Crime] 
I have been going through my back catalog of movies slowly but surely and Game Night was just one of the most recent offerings that I was intrigued by considering its interesting premise and good receptions by the moviegoers. It's a simple premise that is so easy to be improperly executed but after watching it myself, I can assure you that it was quite an entertaining romp from start to finish. 
The script is solid in putting a unique twist to the usual movie tropes of friends hanging out by adding that high stake on top of an intriguing mystery they all are working out to unveil but it was the cast that made the whole film for me. Jason Sudeikis and Rose Bryne are perfect as the comical leads with charming charisma and endless chemistry, playing naturally off of each other in every scene they are in together. Having just them are entertaining enough but having them in these wacky and extraordinary situations and circumstances just increases the level of enjoyment you could experience from this film. With an adept supporting cast that is enjoyable in their own ways, it is just a delight to see how they react as the night keeps on unraveling to unexpected yet hilarious places. Quite a number of sharks being jumped over but the overall tone prepare you for just that, you're just ready for what the movie could come up next at the end of it.
Twists abound at the tail-end of the third act but you are ready for them with the increasingly outrageous revelations throughout the film, which I believe handled capably by the directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, giving me faith that they would be able to pull off the upcoming the Flash adaptation. Another aspect that I appreciate is the inventive cinematography from the miniature forced-perspective that makes them look like moving game pieces while the placement of the various cameras around the characters especially in and around the cars when they're in the car chases (of course they have one, aside from the shooting sequence). I appreciate the extra effort they put in for that and also how effective they play to the usual movie tropes, trying to put fresh twists to them that really work for me.
All in all, it was a thoroughly entertaining watch for friends on a night out!
-  IMDb - officialRT - wiki -

P.S. ... I got nothing! Well, I like the Dexter cameo though!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.