Ads Top

♬ Nothing's gone forever, only out of place. ♪♫

Mary Poppins Returns
Mini Non-Spoiler Review
[December 25th, 2018]
[PG | 2hr 10min | Comedy, Family, Fantasy, Musical]
I lost the freaking ticket! Darn it! I didn't get the chance to take my customary picture in the cinema and now it's gone ... oh well, at least I can still review it!
Yeah, it's been out for almost a month already but since I forgot to post the review on Instagram, I figure I would take my time and it is good of time now since I will be out to watch Glass this afternoon. Let's crack on, shall we?
It's been months since I first watched the original and while it's still fresh in my mind, watching this followup in the cinema makes me feel like we have never left. First and foremost, this is a musical through and through (not a full on but it is a prominent part, as it should be) and it makes its case right at the opening with Lin Manuel Miranda of all people! All the songs and numbers are a window to the souls of the characters and their mindsets, especially when the 'nanny' uses the medium to entertain us and the kids while subconsciously teaching them of moral values and how to approach life. Speaking of which, Emily Blunt fills in the shoes of Julie Andrews as perfect as I hoped, fit like a glove! She has the charisma, the confidence, the charms and the softness that reminisces of the original while giving the role her own particular twist that I am fully enamoured for. The rest of the supporting cast are great in their respective parts, especially of course Miranda with a better Cockney accent this time around. While there is a couple of glorified cameos, they fit the scenes well and I know one of them is a shoe in for Andrews to come in to pass the baton (or in this case umbrella or more appropriately balloon) so to speak but she chose Aquaman instead. It would be nice to see her in here but retrospectively it let Blunt shines on her own.  
Okay, most of the criticisms I see online have the sequel being compared to the predecessor and how they integrate the songs into the overall storyline, how it transitions from the scenes between the number to the songs. I can see the argument on how the latter is doing it better than the former and how their songs are at this time much more memorable. They are catchy and entertaining in this film and while I can't straight way sing them, I believe given time they will be more prominent in the future pop culture lexicon since they have so much potential to thrive on. While Bumblebee is perfect for the teenage demography, this is perfect for the whole family with all the lush visuals and feel good tone, using the current technology to good use and paying tribute to the past with the wonderful handrawn throwback in the middle. The penguins are back! This is a successful followup in my humble opinion and I can't wait to see them to return to adapt the original book series right after this.  
I was grinning from ear to ear from start to finish (and of course sobbing through the more heartfelt scenes) as my heart is fill with pure joy that made my days after I walked out of the cinema. I can't wait to see the it again!
-  IMDb - officialRT  - wiki -
~

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.