Ads Top

"The age of the great predator cities, survival of the fastest ."

Mortal Engine
Mini Non-Spoiler Review
[December 06th, 2018]

[PG-13, 2hr 8min,  Action, Adventure, City on Wheels, Fantasy]
I didn't mentioned that I had a double feature last Thursday as more and more films are coming out in conjunction of the Holiday Season. Just can't find the time to write reviews for both of them in the last couple of days, until now. A thought came across my mind at the cinema to watch only just one but since I was early there, why not treat myself, right? Since my interest was piqued ever since the first trailer of the grand concept of it all, I decided to give it a go and I can safely say that it was worth the admission in the end.

Knowing that it is a popular piece of fiction, I know some heavy simplifications and modifications need to be made to be successfully adapted and while I can gleam the broad overview of the post-apocalyptic universe without going through all the details (that could have helped but would slow down the pace), the effective worldbuilding is enough for me to straight away being swept along the journey of the main protagonists. The concept of moving cities can be quite a bizarre one in the first place but the opening sequence is enough for me to believe it and not a farfetched idea for the surviving humankind have to do everything in their power to survive in this literally newly built lands. The whole storyline is quite engaging as I see how each character introduced intertwined into each other's lives and how the story concludes itself is quite satisfying for me.


The selling point of this feature to me that should be used to market it is the admittedly excellent action sequences which may be few and far between but every buildup is always worth it since the set pieces include fast-paced hand-to-hand combat to the massive machinery chases and full blown war in the third act. I surprisingly enjoy every minute of it and I think it is well more than enough to pay tribute and live up to the original's reputation. There will be give and take for any conversion but I think this is worth all the trouble. 

Watch it for world building and the action. I think you will like it as much as I did.

-  IMDb official - wiki - RT -

P.S. I totally didn't see that cyborg coming ... that relationship is quite surprising and heartwarming in the end.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.