Ads Top

I shoot with my heart.

the Dark Tower
Mini Review
[In cinemas this August the 3rd]
I' skipped a week because I thought Atomic Blonde just didn't call for me to watch it in the cinemas but I believe the co-director of John Wick could provide a decent follow-up with a female version of that surprise hit with more spy elements and less action sequences of guns and hand to hand.


Regarding this movie itself, I know it has an extensive written bible by the famed Stephen King and it is just an impossible feat to adapt the epic mythology into a single short movie. After watching the movie last night, it did a decent job in representing the premise but a watered down version just falls short in giving the audiences a fitting introduction into the universe.

Knowing behind the scene antics of this particular project, it is not a direct adaptation of any of the eight books in the anthology but a direct sequel, for better and for worse. Simply the skeletal version of the original without the meaty backstory and character progression achieved throughout the series, the kid is the only we could relate to as we follow his adventure to the other side and we stumbled into this feud between the Gunslinger and the Man in Black. The kid is great as a viewer surrogate while giving a solid performance while Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey might not be the reader's first choices for the pivotal roles but they are played their role to the best of their abilities. I wouldn't know whether or not they played the characters as written in the books to a tee since I haven't finish reading the whole thing yet but the inclusion their own takes such as Matthew's particular speech pattern and intonation might rub some people the wrong way. In my opinion, Elba played a reluctant hero to perfection while McConaughey has a sarcastic and nonchalant tone to him while with a vicious edge i.e. when he could affect people's emotions just like that. There is a number of easter eggs and connections to other King's novels littered around the movie since he is always connecting them together under one umbrella whether tangentially or directly but this is not the best step forward they could take in establishing a shared universe since there is a plan to follow it up with a full fledged television shows in the veins of HBO's Westworld. I enjoyed my experience nonetheless but I want to know your own opinions when you've watched it yourself. This is just my own honest impressions but I hope it would help you make up your own mind.

That's it for now ... I guess that full reviews might not even come, huh? Until next time!

P.S. The action sequences are one of the highlights of the movie especially when the Gunslinger was at his best shooting down baddies one by one ... or that particular scene in the trailer when he shot one down from afar just by tapping into his own senses.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.