Ads Top

"Bangkai ayam!" "Cabai!" "Kurap!" "Phuket, Thailand!"

Writing Prompts 008 & Tip 001 Forced Substitutions for the Vulgarity-Inclined 

What do you think of the set of phrases above? Do they make sense? Are they tied to each other?

If you know the mother tongue of Malays which is Malaysia language, you would know the first three while the last is just a name of a place in Thailand. If you know it and speak it, you might know how to curse in it too!

How does that relate to the aforementioned phrases, you might ask. Well, did you read the title of this post? Then you know these are my substitutions of any of my curse words. Bare in mind that I am a good-natured person (or as much as I try to be) and rarely got mad (my ex maybe would not agree to that), but when those occasions arise, I can't help myself from muttering those dirty words out of frustration and anger. I wasn't that vulgarity-inclined before but time hasn't been kind to me and maybe the lack of company really just letting me be free of any social etiquette. I am not as bad as others in my age that certainly curse a lot more than I do but since it is just unavoidable, I figure why don't I just censor myself?

This particular idea actually came from my friends from Unisel, Shamsinar and Dayang, whereby they would say these phrases out of nowhere that perplexed me when I heard them but when I learned the reasons behind it, I thought it was brilliant! I can't remember the exact phrase that they used before but I was sure the last phrase have definitely been uttered by them ... it's a weird phrase out of context but when you know what it substitute for, you'll understand its position here. The other three are purely invention of my own and while two of them are replacing two Malay words, "Kurap!" was replacing an English word (which actually isn't that harsh of a word). Do you know which one?

This is the ultimate question: can you name all of the curse words that the phrases above are substituting for? Send me your answer here or on my other social media platforms. Oh, I would recommend you guys to do the same if you just can't help yourself from cursing, try to substitute it with phrases you are familiar with and would sound weird if spoken without any context. That would allow it to stick in your conscience and you would be cursing gibberish in no time! Actually, it did take time for me to replace them but no pain no gain, right?

~

Thank you for going on this mini-journey with me and letting me indulged in my other hobby besides drawing. I find it hard to write something that have heft behind them instead of just meaningless rambles. Just like the muscles in your hands, I need to keep on engaging them to warm them up and maybe get better in the future, Insya-Allah for both of them. Thank you for your time and please do come back for more. Assalamualaikum and good bye!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.